CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

August 13, 2010

26 Birthday Wishes

So I don't need any birthday wishes this year because for my b-day I received the bestest best gift ever... a Cake Cricut!!! I'm in heaven. Seriously in heaven. It took me some time to work out the kinks but I have it fixed now.  I used my new cricut to make the swirls on the 3rd tier of my b-day cake.  Yes, I'm fully aware you are not supposed to make your own b-day cake but I just couldn't resist an excuse to practice :)
I figured since it was a cake to celebrate me, it needed to be the biggest badest thing you've ever seen.  It was big and bad alright but I'm still recovering from it.  Not only am I stuffed from eating, I ache all over and could probably sleep for a few days.  I spent so much time and energy on this thing it might take some time for me to recoup and work up the thought of making another cake anytime soon.  Ha! Just kidding. I'm rooaarring to go again.
After all of my hard work and time invested, I was so excited to finish the cake only to literally flip out that it was leaning.  Sorry to my sister Hanna for being such a bloomin' witch. Note for future, do not come into the kitchen and ask me why the cake is leaning and not expect the reaction of a lifetime.  I believe my Tower of Pisa is leaning because when I was putting the fondant on, the kitchen was ridiculously hot, and so the cake started sweating.  The fondant wouldn't stick and the cake started shifting.  I was able to save the cakes but the third tier wasn't level so it gives the appearance the top tier is going to slide right off.  Even the miniature me looks unsure of the situation.
I tried some new combos for the cake which were absolutely delicious. I made a peanut butter ganache that I put in a chocolate cake, a lemon with lemon glaze and a chocolate with caramel.  Overall, it was a great birthday and I'm very pleased with my creation. It was sad taking it down but I better get used to that part. That is what pictures and oh so cool blogs are for. ;)
1st attempt (left) & 2nd attempt (right): Working in the food color to the modeling chocolate first works much better than trying to paint it on after.  Mini Adie #2 is so much cuter and more life like.

0 comments: