CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

August 5, 2010

Flowers & Fireworks

I have officially joined TEAM BUTTERCREAM

So far I have only used it for fillings and crumb coats but after using it to finish my rose cake I'm convinced there might not be anything better.  Don't get me wrong, fondant makes extremely clean, amazing cakes but buttercream is so much easier to make and use.  It is a bit nerve racking trying to get the final layer smooth to perfection but it sure does beat sifting pounds of sugar and kneading. Not to mention the horrific
mess I make using it.  It seems like every time I make fondant I end up cleaning up the remains of a sugar
and cornstarch explosion.  Buttercream is simple and forgiving.  I haven't mastered the art of the buttercream rose yet, but for my first try not bad eh. This was a taller cake using chocolate and yellow with a simple vanilla buttercream. 


















When the 4th of July rolled around it meant only one thing- bring on the fireworks cake.  I wanted to attempt creating horizontal pleats or ruffles (not sure what to call them). My attempt worked fine but I feel I should have thought about the design a bit better.  I created modeling chocolate for all of the attached shapes and fireworks.  The chocolate is fun to work with but does not stay stiff.  Fondant or gum paste would have been better for me to use.  My mom thought the fireworks looked like the shrimp cocktail fingers from the movie Beetlejuice. Not was I was going for AT ALL! Now that I look at it though, I have to agree with her. Six foot, seven foot, eight foot Bunch! Haha.  I also think the pleats make the cake look like Snoopy's house. Oh well, the shapes turned out cute and patriotic.  Next year I will tackle the flag. Can't wait!

0 comments: