CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

August 8, 2010

80 Years Older & Wiser

Two weeks ago I decided to try to make a square tiered cake.  In the middle tier I put fresh peaches in the batter and then created a cinnamon & brown sugar buttercream.  For the bottom tier I made a spice cake with the same cinnamon buttercream.  I made a chocolate with ganache cake for the top tier.  The design is very simple but funky since I put a shorter round tier in the middle and then stacked the tiers offset to give a stair like look.  I used royal icing to do the piping work on the second tier.  For the banner I just used leftover fondant and folded in the sides to give it a draped effect.  I really wish my letters would have  turned out nicer.  My icing wasn't a great consistency which made it difficult to use.  I wasn't aware that my neighbor Bill was celebrating his 80th with all his family until after the cake was completed.  I put the banner on it and figured it would make a great celebration cake.  You have to have an awesome cake when you turn 80. Period. I hope it turned out ok. I have started giving away my practice cakes to ensure that I do not become obese.  The one downside is that I always worry. I guess with time I will get over it and realize that all of my cakes taste like heaven. Yeah right ;) Bill and his family seemed to really like this one which made me feel wonderful. 

0 comments: